My Divine Assignment: To Encourage Others

A dear friend who has gone to be with the Lord once told me I was her Barnabas which Biblically means "encourager." I never saw myself like that, but as I've grown in my walk with the Lord it seems that is my desire. I hope that what I share here will be an encouragement to you as we trust the Lord - for great is His Faithfulness.

My Divine Assignment: To Encourage Others.
In Christ's Love, Shelley



KEEP His JOY IN TRIALS, TEARS & TRIUMPHS ~~ A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO COMPLETELY LOST IN God THAT A MAN MUST SEEK Him TO FIND HER ~~ Our desire to learn God's Word must be greater than our need to breathe ~~











Friday, March 15, 2013

LOVE my life... (part 2)


In my last post, I said  I loved my life 99% of the time.  Today, I want to be open, honest & unveiled to share with you what goes on in my life the other 1% of the time.

In response to a few past posts, I've had friends tell me I'm too hard on myself.  That my be true, but it's usually during that 1% of my life - depression.   There, it's out.  Not a word we like to admit.  Depression brings us to a point of having no control, something I don't do well with. It has been an off-n-on issue much of my adult life, especially a few years after my Dad died.

 I want you to know, whether you deal with it or may do so eventually, don't give up. Yes, it's not fun, it's a struggle & sometimes a dark place.  I choose to persevere through it knowing God is walking with me, even if it doesn't always seem like it. Doing some research  I found that hypoglycemia can have many of the symptoms of depression, along with thyroid & other physical imbalances.  I seem to have all of them.

 I know when I'm "in the 1%" because a negative attitude comes over me. This is my God-alert, which I am grateful for & I can begin to do what needs to be done to overcome it.  A few weeks ago when it occurred , God lead me to books & devotionals about gratitude & JOY.  This has truly been LIFE CHANGING for me.  The supplements I take are helpful BUT God's Word & the encouragement through the books is the Game/Attitude changer.

The 1% will rear it's ugly head at times, but I do not battle it in my own strength.  I have friends who pray for me during those times, I read my Bible, read the Gratitude books & I persevere through the tears and what seems to be despair to the other side to enJOY my life. 

I almost gave up this blog a few weeks ago in the midst of the 1% - ready to erase it from the internet.  God did not allow me to follow through.  Thank You Lord, for giving me the grace to be open & to continue to be an encouragement to others.

Lysa Terkeurst writing in her Unglued Devotional put into words for me the reason why I love doing my blog - "It's what compels me to split my heart wide open & let people see the not-so-great stuff about me mixed in with all the gracious goodness of God... If I can help a soul find an authentic, honest way to connect with God..."  The following two Scriptures assure me that Jesus has my 1% covered.
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding...
Luke 10:27  Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind."  (Jesus is quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5 and, since He is the Author of Scripture, took the liberty to add "all your mind." )

Unglued Devotional is linked in previous post. image: moneyplansos.com

4 comments:

  1. Shelley, I know no one who doesn't at times experience some depression -- many who actually battle degrees of clinical depression. Please do not think me intrusive when I comment that it is also not, in my humble opinion, a human failing to take a mild anti-depressant from a qualified physician in order to treat what is a chemically imbalanced condition in the body. If you were a diabetic, you would not tend to avoid taking medication; chemical imbalances in the body all often respond to a medication specifically designed to reestablish balance. Celexa is one such mild medication that is generally considered very safe and very effective for people struggling against a manageable degree of depression. I'm not a doctor, but I I'm not shy about passing on the names of medicines that friends and family have found helpful. Good luck -- thinking of you -- care about you!! Marjie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never think you intrusive, nor anyone else offering advice. At this point, I am dealing with it "naturally" because there are some other issues going on at the same time that I didn't share. I am always grateful for your feedback, concern & thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Shelley,
    I am thankful that God didn't let you erase your blog! It is a blessing to me and I am sure to many others.....Thanks for allowing Him to use you in amazing ways!!! Keep trusting God to carry you through your 1% times.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon. Our Lord is trustworthy even when we don't "feel" that way. As Believers, we know there is a great war going on in the spiritual realm, so I put on the Armor of God daily. Blessings.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. They encourage me greatly. Blessings on your day.